A Reputation For Quality And Excellence

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Law
  4.  » Grandparent’s Rights

Grandparents Have Rights

Every child should have the opportunity to build a healthy relationship with his or her grandparents. In difficult and tumultuous times, grandparents offer a sense of stability and support. At Taylor Law Firm, PLLC, I understand these relationships and the importance of family. I am dedicated to helping grandparents secure visitation and custody rights.

Seeking Visitation Rights As A Grandparent

In Oklahoma, grandparents will not receive visitation rights if there is an intact nuclear family and both parents object to the visitation. The courts give visitation rights to grandparents only when specific criteria have been met.

For example, you may be able to seek visitation if it is in the best interests of the child and you can show that the child would suffer harm without being allowed visitation with you, such as when:

  • The parents are divorced or are getting a divorce
  • A parent, who is your child, is deceased
  • Your grandchild is in the custody of a person besides his or her parents
  • A parent has been convicted of a felony
  • You had custody of your grandchild
  • The parents have never been married and are not living together
  • The parental rights of your child have been terminated

In many of these circumstances, you must be able to show a strong, continuous relationship with your grandchild or that your relationship with your grandchild has continued for some time. I will work with you to determine if you are eligible for visitation rights with your grandchild. I will make sure you understand your legal options and help you work to get the time you need with your family.

Helping Grandparents Secure Child Custody

As a family law attorney, I also help grandparents secure child custody through adoption or guardianship. I can help you explore every option to give your grandchild the loving and supportive environment he or she deserves.

Is Your Grandchild Being Abused?

If your grandchild is being abused or neglected, or you fear that the child is otherwise in danger, contact the Department of Human Services right away at 1-800-522-3511. It is important to have the authorities step in right away to protect your grandchild.

Schedule A Consultation With Me

If you need help enforcing your rights as a grandparent, contact me, attorney Kevin Taylor, to discuss your situation in a consultation: 405-648-9540. My office is open weekdays from 8:30 a.m. until 5 p.m.