Taylor Law Firm, PLLC
Our Focus Is You
Call Us Today! 405-525-2232
Areas & Topics

Oklahoma City Family Law Blog

What does an adoption lawyer do?

If you are looking to adopt a child, a family law attorney can help you get legal custody of a child that is not biologically yours. The process of adopting a child may be more complex than most couples realize.

Whether you want to become the legal guardian of your step-child or you and your spouse are looking to adopt a child, there are numerous legal documents and court proceedings to look forward to. A lawyer can help you throughout the process.

How does a court choose what child custody arrangement to award?

If you are a parent, one of your biggest concerns during your divorce may be over the custody of your child. While it may be beneficial to work with your spouse to come to an agreement about child custody, sometimes this is not possible. If you and your spouse cannot decide on a custody arrangement, a court will need to decide what arrangement to award.

Best interests

What happens when business partners divorce?

The average divorce can be complicated enough, but when divorcing spouses are also business partners, there can be a lot of confusion about what will happen to their business.

The best thing you can do in this situation is to gather the facts and familiarize yourself with all of your options before making any decisions.

Intimate partner violence may be seen with military personnel

You may be more familiar with the term domestic violence than with intimate partner violence (IPV), they both are very similar, but the violence with IPV is usually broader. IPV will include abuse associated with sexual, physical or emotional violence from a current or former intimate partner.

Around a third of women and a quarter of men have been the victims of IPV. Typically, IPV is experienced through rape, stalking, mental or physical abuse.

4 tips for parents when adopting an older child

Whether you’re adopting a kid out of the foster system or your spouse’s child, becoming the parent of a teenager comes with its challenges. You’re raising them during a pivotal time in their life and your actions can affect them for years to come. Making mistakes is to be expected when preparing a teenager for adulthood. By following these tips, you can help to ensure that your adopted child will triumph during this transitional period.

Tax season issues related to child custody

It’s mid tax season. Early birds have already filed their taxes for 2017, while late risers have yet to get to the chore. One of the reasons that some Oklahoma residents haven’t filed yet may be that they have a complicated financial situation.

Parents who have recently divorced may especially have a few problems with tax time. Namely, they have to communicate about which parent can claim their child as a dependent. This problem can easily lead to the same kind of drama you thought ended with the divorce agreement.

Link between PTSD and domestic violence

Returning service members who have experienced traumatic events while deployed are often later diagnosed with PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder). People with PTSD are triggered by the event to experience a high-level of stress that won’t go away. It can cause anything from flashbacks to chronic anxiety.

Service members returning home must re-enter everyday life. Not all of them are successful in letting go of the stress of their deployment. According to experts, the trauma returns with symptoms of paranoia, heightened jitteriness, and a sense that people are out to get them.

Can we change our custody schedule after the divorce is final?

Question: My husband and I divorced a few years ago. At the time, I was back in school and I had primary custody of my kids. Now that I am entering the workforce, I’d like to think about doing a 50/50 custody split. I think it would benefit both me and the kids. Can we do that, or do we have to stick with what’s in the divorce decree?

Answer: It’s important to remember that no divorce decree is ever final. Too many changes occur between the time a couple divorces and the time their child or children reach the age of majority. Whether it’s a new job schedule that means changing parenting time, or a change in income that requires a child support adjustment, most people eventually modify their first order.

Divorce: how can you uncover hidden assets?

Divorce is complicated when you have all the facts, but it is even more complicated when you do not. Your spouse may have taken care of the finances throughout the marriage, and now you may not feel confident that you know key facts necessary for an equitable divorce. Adding to the confusion, some spouses try to hide assets during divorce proceedings. How can you know whether or not your spouse is honestly presenting you with all of your assets?


Custody for deployed military personnel takes planning

Military personnel and their families face many unique challenges. While a parent going into harm’s way to serve their country can lead to the ultimate sacrifice, the children and other parent (even when they are divorced) must make sacrifices and adjustments as well, particularly when the custodial parent is deployed.

It’s advisable and common that military families have a family care plan in place that is filed with the service branch of the Department of Defense. The children will reside with their other parent unless the other parent isn’t themselves deployed, has waived his/her rights to custody or has been deemed unfit to be a guardian by the courts. Grandparents, extended family or friends can be guardians, but this arrangement should be discussed with the other parent.


Taylor Law Firm, PLLC
625 NorthWest 13th Street
Oklahoma City, OK 73103

Phone: 405-525-2232
Fax: 405-525-2250
Oklahoma City Law Office Map